There are a lot of CBD products on the market today and it can be hard to know where to start! Oil and gummies are two of the most common CBD products you’re likely to come across, but which one is the best? We’ve rounded up everything you need to know about CBD oil and CBD gummies to help you make the right decision for your needs.
No doubt you’ve come across CBD oil before, as it’s one of the most popular CBD products on the market. CBD oil is found naturally in cannabis and hemp plants and can be extracted from them into its oil form. CBD oils are often diluted with carrier oils, such as coconut oil.
CBD oil is a very versatile CBD product. It can be ingested, placed under the tongue, used in vape devices, added into recipes, and applied topically to the skin.
CBD gummies have exploded in popularity recently, thanks in large part to their great taste and ease of use.
CBD gummies are similar to a candy, with a chewy, jelly-like consistency. These gummy chews are available in a range of different flavors and types, making them easy to fit into your routine.
CBD gummies are made with CBD extract and individual brands will provide you with their specific ingredients.
Gummies are a great way to consume CBD as they make it easy to dose. With clear CBD doses per gummy, you simply follow instructions and chew away.
Health benefits of CBD
Research tells us that CBD holds an impressive array of potential health benefits which both CBD oil and gummies may be able to deliver. Some of the more impressive therapeutic benefits of CBD include:
- Reduced anxiety: CBD has shown an impressive ability to reduce anxiety symptoms, thanks largely to its ability to lower cortisol and increase serotonin levels (1).
- Improved sleep: Research into CBD and sleep have found that the cannabinoid compound may be able to improve sleep scores and improve the symptoms of sleep conditions like excessive daytime sleepiness and REM sleep behavior disorder (2, 3).
- Reduced inflammation: CBD has shown strong anti-inflammatory properties and could help to improve the symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease (4, 5).
- Improved skin condition: Skin conditions such as psoriasis and acne may see some improvement through treatment with CBD thanks to the compound’s ability to fight bacteria, and reduce oil and skin cell production (6, 7, 8).
- Reduce seizures: Impressively, CBD can also help to improve the symptoms of seizure conditions. Human trials have found that CBD treatment can reduce seizure frequency, with some patients having the seizures stop altogether during the treatment regime (9).
CBD side effects
While CBD can induce some impressive health benefits, it’s important to note that some side effects can occur with its use. The good news is that the side effects of CBD tend to be mild.
CBD oil side effects can include (10):
- Reduced appetite
- Increased temperature
Strength: Oil vs gummies
When it comes to deciding between CBD oil and gummies, one factor to take into consideration is how strong each delivery method is.
Bioavailability refers to the amount of a substance that makes it from the original product into your bloodstream. The higher the bioavailability percentage, the stronger the effects. For example, intravenous injection has a 100% bioavailability as the product is delivered directly into the bloodstream.
CBD gummies bioavailability
CBD edibles, such as gummies, have a relatively low bioavailability, around 6-20% – meaning that 6-20% of the CBD in gummies makes it into your system (11). This is largely due to the fact that gummies have to pass through the gut before they enter the bloodstream, which undergoes high metabolic action.
Because they have to travel all the way through your gut, you can expect CBD gummies to take a while to reach their peak, around 1.5-3 hours (12). This makes CBD gummies ideal for people wanting medium strength effects that last for a longer period of time.
CBD oil bioavailability
The bioavailability of CBD oil depends on how you consume it.
- Eating CBD oil – around 6-20% bioavailability, reaching its peak after 1.5-3 hours.
- Vaping CBD oil – around 70% bioavailability, reaching its peak after three minutes.
- Placing CBD oil under the tongue – around 35% bioavailability, reaching its peak after 20 minutes.
- Rubbing CBD oil into the skin – very low bioavailability.
Pros and cons of CBD oil
Pros of CBD oil
- Variety of ways to consume
- Ability to alter doses
- Can deliver strong effects
Cons of CBD oil
- Smell and taste can be off-putting
- Confusing/intimidating to first-time users
- Requires some skill and knowledge to use
Pros and cons of CBD gummies
Pros of CBD gummies
- Easy to use
- Variety of flavors to suit most tastes
- Subtle way to consume cannabinoids
- A good option for people wanting sustained, medium-strength effects
Cons of CBD gummies
- Dose isn’t easily changeable outside of individual gummy amount
- Lower strength than other consumption methods
- Single way to consume
Which is best?
The decision between CBD oil and CBD gummies will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Both options have their own pros and cons, so it’s important to take stock of your symptoms and what you want out of the product when deciding between the two.
The bottom line
**Standard Disclaimer: CBD is not FDA-approved. We make no such claims that using our products will guarantee relief. Moreover, research regarding CBD is still ongoing and in the early stages.**